[ih] Some Questions over IPv4 Ownership

Louis Mamakos louie at transsys.com
Wed Oct 13 11:30:07 PDT 2010

Two other random thoughts on this topic:

For a while, the generalized subnet architecture "supported" non-continguous
subnet masks to distinguish the network part from the host part.  I don't
know what the driver for this was.  Maybe IP address <-> ARPANET host/imp
mapping [10.host.X.imp] where the X octet was used as a "logical host" behind
some sort of multiplexing device or gateway/router.   A subnet mask
might be 255.255.0.255 in that scenario.

Of course, when CIDR came on the scene, a strict prefix approach was adopted.
Actual deployment of CIDR was serialized behind the BGP3->BGP4 deployment
activities on the major backbones at that time.

Louis Mamakos