[ih] Some Questions over IPv4 Ownership

Craig Partridge craig at aland.bbn.com
Wed Oct 13 09:28:43 PDT 2010

> As for all the others (e.g. the later CIDR stuff) - that would take a certain
> amount of research to figure out (e.g. who was funding Cerf/Sunshine/Dalal at
> Stanford in the early 70s).

I always viewed CIDR as a logical extension of subnets (the ability to own
a A, B or C address and break it up into smaller networks within your
organization).  And it is clear who invented subnets -- that was Jeff
Mogul (that's my memory and RFC 917 [published 1984] supports that
recollection).

In the context of Noel's note, Jeff was at Stanford at the time (I can't
recall in what capacity).

Thanks!

Craig