[ih] Commercial ISPs (Re: Some Questions over IPv4 Ownership)

Jorge Amodio jmamodio at gmail.com
Wed Oct 13 08:36:32 PDT 2010

> And then there was NEARnet, that had commercial members almost from day one.
>  As I recall, since NEARnet didn't have any NSF funding, it didn't have to
> follow the limit on commercial users (except at the gateway to the NSFnet
> backbone).

JvNCNet became a commercial ISP under thenaem  Global Enterprise Services
in the early 90's, we provided services in eastern PA, NJ, NY (some overlap
with NYSERNet), CT, RI and MA, and international gateway for  IN (the first
two Software Technology Parks, PE, and VE), since we transitioned from the
network managed by Princeton University and had many academic institutions
we still had some funding from NSF and transit via NSF contract with MCI.

VERIO acquired it in 1997 as several others of the post NSF spin offs, such
as PREPNet, NorthwestNet, Sesquinet, etc.

Jorge