[ih] Some Questions over IPv4 Ownership

Dave CROCKER dhc2 at dcrocker.net
Tue Oct 12 17:08:13 PDT 2010

On 10/12/2010 12:44 PM, Bill Woodcock wrote:
> On the contrary...  It has negative value.  Just as if everyone took their
> street numbers with them when they moved, and 125 Broadway were next door to
> 25337 El Camino Real and across the street from 17B Vine Terrace...  It would
> ruin the aggregation property of the system, which would remove all meaning.

While the technical aspects of your points are, of course, quite correct, I was
trying to raise a different point.  (In general, I think that this discussion
has been sidetracked by its overly-nuanced technical focus, given that the
question was about legal and, therefore, business and marketing, issues.)

The point is that these tags have two kinds of functions, which can make
discussion confusing.  One is the downward, technical side.  IP Addresses and
street addresses really are addresses, in terms of providing topological
addresses.  Telephone numbers used to be, but no longer are.  But this was not
my point.

The upward aspect of these tags is that they are referents and it's often true
that some referents are more appealing than others.  Even when telephone numbers
were true addresses, some were more desirable than others and companies tried to
get preferable ones.  And by the way, there was a degree of number portability
even back then, albeit with serious geographic limitations.

That this latter aspect is in the 'identifier' realm and the form is in the
'locator' realm is no doubt also true, but wasn't all that interesting to the
specific point I was making, which was that these things tend to have 'value'
and that features like portability are a virtue to that value.  (That they might
be negatives in terms of the downward, locator-ish function is reality... for
some of them).

d/
--

   Dave Crocker