[ih] Some Questions over IPv4 Ownership

Spencer Dawkins spencer at mcsr-labs.org
Tue Oct 12 19:00:19 PDT 2010

Noel actually pointed to the interesting middle-of-the-road case, when I was
looking at the extreme case, which is probably less interesting.

I was saying "nobody will route to you/nobody will accept traffic with your
source addresses", and you could probably sue your first-hop Internet
connection and make them route to you, and make them accept traffic with
your source addresses, so problem solved ...

... until you send an HTTP request to a server in another country. The
request gets there, the server does its thing and sends a response, and the
server's first-hop Internet connection, who has never been sued and doesn't
think your address range goes where you think it goes, drops the response on
the floor.

You'd have to decide how well you want the address range to work, to decide
whether this is worth chasing, I think.

Spencer