[ih] Commercial ISPs (Re: Some Questions over IPv4 Ownership)

Craig Partridge craig at aland.bbn.com
Tue Oct 12 13:53:17 PDT 2010

> But when all these initial non-research-project ISPs and customers were
> starting out, how were the legal issues framed?  Maybe the old contracts
> or licenses or MOUs or whatever would shed some light.  /Jack

CSNET was initially funded as an NSF project in cooperation with DARPA with
the project requiring that CSNET be self-supporting within a certain number
of years.

CSNET had paying customers ("members") from the start -- the NSF money was
used to cover the shortfall in the initial years.

So there was a contract with NSF (actually, two contracts, because I believe
NSF contracted with UCAR and UCAR contracted operations to BBN), and an
agreement between DARPA and NSF that CSNET could attach to ARPANET and
relay traffic.

Not sure that gives any insight into IP addressing...

Thanks!

Craig

> > > The way I remember it:
> > >
> > > STD provided Internet services but they were not a network.
> > >
> > > UUNET was a non-profit exchange, not a network, until 1990 (?)
> > >
> > > PSINet was started as a network, with NYSERNet members as an instant
> > > installed base, in 1989.
> >
> > CSNET started in 1981 with a goal of achieving profitability within a few
> > years (which it achieved).  NSFNET modeled the NSF regional networks, in
> > part, on the CSNET model.
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > Craig

Craig Partridge