[ih] Some Questions over IPv4 Ownership

Andrew Sullivan ajs at crankycanuck.ca
Tue Oct 12 10:12:18 PDT 2010

On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 09:44:23AM -0700, Bill Woodcock wrote:

> system, which would remove all meaning.  "Easy to remember" is not
> an interesting property in an IP address except for your bootstrap
> recursive resolver.  "Uniquely allocated to you" and "aggregated
> with other like addresses so as to be findable through routing" are
> the two interesting properties of an address.

Surely, though, there are people to whom the interesting property is,
"One can assert property rights in it and therefore make money from
its scarcity," no?  Given the situation with IPv4, I predict
interesting times ahead for the assertion that the addresses are not
owned by anyone (although I happen to agree with the proposition).

Andrew Sullivan
ajs at crankycanuck.ca