[ih] Some Questions over IPv4 Ownership

Richard Bennett richard at bennett.com
Tue Oct 12 04:41:44 PDT 2010

  Seems to me that a prefix is something like a SSN or a credit card #.
I own these in the sense that I'm the only one entitled to use them, and
anyone else who holds them out as theirs is committing fraud. These
identifiers only have significance to the extent that one and only one
party is entitled to their use.

We used to think that phone numbers belonged to the phone company and
were leased to subscribers, but now think of them as personal property
that we can take with us across carriers. I guess that's like a V6 PI
prefix.

In any event, the original, historical understanding has been supplanted
and no longer applies.

RB

--
Richard Bennett