[ih] Some Questions over IPv4 Ownership

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Mon Oct 11 18:05:12 PDT 2010

On Oct 11, 2010, at 8:05 PM, Randy Bush wrote:

>> I would be very interested in reading documentation establishing
>> this chain.
>>> There was a chain of responsibility that was handed down from DARPA /
>>> DODNIC / IANA / RIRs, by agreement between the USG and the Internet
>>> stakeholder community.
>
> don't hold your breath waiting for it.  wishful thinking from someone
> who wasn't there.

Randy was there, and is correct ** if by "chain of responsibility" you're
looking for a proscriptive delegation of authority along those precise
lines from DARPA to the RIRs of the present day **

I believe that there is a "chain of responsibility", if you accept
either Jon Postel's actual actions in this area or if you would prefer
a series of USG cooperative agreements which state where IP address
administration is to be performed.

For example, the InterNIC registration services cooperative agreement
(NCR-9218742) provide for the transition of IP address assignments
from DISA NIC to NSI: <http://www.icann.org/en/nsi/coopagmt-01jan93.htm>
The 06 and 07 amendments to NCR-9218742 in 1997 transfers responsibility
for these IP Number assignment and related tasks to ARIN.

/John

John Curran
President and CEO
ARIN