[ih] internet-history Digest, Vol 41, Issue 29

Bob Braden braden at ISI.EDU
Wed Mar 31 14:46:31 PDT 2010

> I don't recall discussing this with Jon or other DNS folk directly, but the
> story I heard was:
>
> Jon watched the political challenges in 'country' naming and decided to invoke a
> model that already had some popularity in Arpanet/Internet design:  specify a
> framework, and defer the fine-grained details to a group that focusses on them.
>
> In this case, that mean specifying use of the ISO table and thereby deferring
> definition of the table's contents to ISO.

I believe that Dave is right. I recall Jon talking about this choice and
rather bragging that he had made the best choice and avoided endless
thickets by adopting ISO codes.  And Jon seldom took personal credit
when someone else had preceded him.

Bob Braden