[ih] Naming and addressing

John Day jeanjour at comcast.net
Wed Mar 31 13:34:54 PDT 2010

So did the allocation plan for CLNP addresses in the US.

Turned out that some other part of ANSI had defined a unique company
code for all US companies I forget what was called.  Had nothing to
do with networking.

Anyone who wanted a set of CLNP addresses was suppose to get one of
these codes, it was then the next level of the hierarchy after
country code.  The rest of the address was theirs to deal with as
they liked.

I remember reading an article in Network World probably in the late
80s about addressing and the author after describing the process for
getting IP addresses, said he was unable to figure out who one
applied to to get CLNP addresses.  Of course, the answer was no one!

Take care,
John