[ih] IEN Notes and INWG

John Day jeanjour at comcast.net
Tue Mar 23 12:29:27 PDT 2010

We have a paper in the works in which we have looked at a number of
attacks on protocols of this type and delta-t is not susceptible to
them.  Basically it comes down to delta-t decouples port allocation
from synchronization.  TCP combines the two and then overloads port
allocation with application naming.

I was quite surprised, because like you, I assumed that since delta-t
had not been subjected to that kind of hardening, it would have the
same vulnerabilities.  Turns out not to be the case at least when
used in the context we are looking at it.

We haven't looked at all of them yet, but so far the results are
quite surprising.

We are looking at it in an architecture does not do listens on
well-known ports.  A short term hack that should have been gotten rid
of decades ago.

Take care,
John