[ih] IEN Notes and INWG

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Tue Mar 23 11:51:50 PDT 2010

On Mon, 22 Mar 2010, John Day wrote:

> TS was simpler than TCP, but still not the answer.  That honor goes to
> delta-t, which is not only simpler but also has better security properties
> than both.  (Watson's proof that bounding 3 timers is necessary and sufficient
> is one of the most important results (as well as surprising and astounding) in
> all of networking and little understood or recognized. An incredible
> intellectual achievement.)

As far as I can tell from the literature, delta-t had no hardening against
denial of service attacks. The server must be prepared to buffer data from
the client before it can prove that the client is listening. So I'm not
sure in what sence it is more secure.

Tony.
GERMAN BIGHT HUMBER: SOUTHWEST 5 TO 7. MODERATE OR ROUGH. SQUALLY SHOWERS.
MODERATE OR GOOD.