[ih] early ccTLD registrations

Craig Partridge craig at aland.bbn.com
Mon Mar 22 08:40:57 PDT 2010

You might also talk with some of the CSNET folks -- as I recall, in
the mid-1980s, we helped several countries get their TLD (as CSNET
was providing the primary Internet connectivity to the country).
I'd suggest Dick Edmiston or Laura Breeden.

I don't have emails from the time but my recollection is that
there ended up being some negotiation with the NIC about how we
decided who in a country should be allowed to be responsible for that
country's TLD.  (This was not a simple question and often pitted
Internet pioneers in some countries against their own governments).

Thanks!

Craig

> Hi,
>
> I registered .NA in 1991, but have unfortunately lost the
> emails from that time.  I would love to reconstruct this,
> not only for my own personal use, but also, because during
> "work" in the ICANN ccNSO Delegation-, Re-delegation and
> Deletion Working Group where we are looking at current
> "policy" and "procedures" we found that we not only have no
> definitions what TLDs or even "domains" actually are, but we
> also do not really know how this all came about.
>
> I am looking for two people working at the DDN.MIL
> Hostmaster around 1990/1991, namely Sue Kirkpatrick, nee
> Romano and Douglas MacGowan, both of whom handled .ZA a few
> months before .NA and thus may be able to help (direct) my
> search.
>
> Thanks to Randy Bush kindly sending me some stuff he had
> already in 2003 I remember that James Revell who as
> postsmater at uunet.uu.net forwarded the application to DDN.MIL
> and set up the name servers.  I was fortunate to be able to
> make contact with him again and we were wondering if there
> was someone around who would know whether and how one can
> find records from UUNET's side.
>
> Anyone else having information about how this was handled
> before let's say 1994 (when RFC 1591 became prevalent), for
> any ccTLD is also more than welcome to contact me directly.
>
> Two names I have come up with are
>
> Sue Kirkpatrick nee Romano
> Douglas MacGowan
>
> who both were hostmasters at DDN.MIL then, and I really
> would like to get in touch with either or both of them.
>
> Then there was a Mary Stahl mentioned in the monthly Internet
> Reports reporting for DDN.MIL.
>
> Anyone who registered ccTLDs during that time and is willing
> to share their email correspondence would be also greatly
> appreciated.
>
> greetings, el
> --
> Dr. Eberhard W. Lisse  \        /      Obstetrician & Gynaecologist
> el at lisse.NA            / *     | Telephone: +264 81 124 6733 (cell)
> PO Box 8421             \     / Please do NOT email to this address
> Bachbrecht, Namibia     ;____/      if it is DNS related in ANY way
Craig Partridge
Chief Scientist, BBN Technologies
E-mail: craig at aland.bbn.com or craig at bbn.com