[ih] DNS History

John Day jeanjour at comcast.net
Mon Mar 8 19:45:12 PST 2010

That was the limited view that CCITT and IFIP WG6.5 brought to it.
If I remember right, the work of IFIP WG6 was significantly
diminished after 79.  IFIP was only a liaison organization to ISO (as
opposed to a Member Body) and had no real  relation with CCITT.  I
don't think there were liaison representatives to CCITT.

Discussions of the directory and what would be in the NWI were
initiated as a result of the work on the Naming and Addressing Part
of the Model.  (Although, the Naming and Addressing Part just
provided the official impetus for something that had been in the plan
for some time. ) The IFIP contribution was merely one feeder into
that broader work.  From the point of the model, the primary purpose
of the Directory was application name to address mapping.  Anything
beyond that was gravy.