[ih] DNS History

Craig Partridge craig at aland.bbn.com
Mon Mar 8 14:15:08 PST 2010

Intriguingly 822 contains support for multi-level domain names (at
a time they were largely not being considered) including several examples
and also  the early version of DNS names -- what I referred to in the day
as the "appellation controlee"  approach of using one's company as the
last part of the name.  In many ways it was a spec bullet-proofed for
whever the DNS ended up (belated kudos on that foresight!).

Craig

Craig Partridge
Chief Scientist, BBN Technologies
E-mail: craig at aland.bbn.com or craig at bbn.com