[ih] DNS History

Kevin Dunlap kevin at Dunlap.Org
Mon Mar 8 14:13:21 PST 2010

The original RFC are available, a good list can be found in "Development of the Domain Name System".
X.500 came after the initial DNS design.  Grapevine was another distributed name server that was available at the time.
Here are a few links to published early design papers for DNS.

Development of the Domain Name System, PV Mockapetris, KJ Dunlap, ACM Sigcom 1988
http://cseweb.ucsd.edu/classes/wi01/cse222/papers/mockapetris-dns-sigcomm88.pdf

The Berkeley Internet Name Domain Server
http://www.eecs.berkeley.edu/Pubs/TechRpts/1984/CSD-84-182.pdf

A Name Server Database
http://www.eecs.berkeley.edu/Pubs/TechRpts/1984/CSD-84-174.pdf

The Design and Implementation of a "Domain Names" Resolver
http://www.eecs.berkeley.edu/Pubs/TechRpts/1984/CSD-84-176.pdf

The Design and Implementation of Berkeley Name (BIND) Server
http://www.eecs.berkeley.edu/Pubs/TechRpts/1984/CSD-84-177.pdf

Distributed Nane Servers: Naming and Cachine in Large Distributed Computing Environments
http://www.eecs.berkeley.edu/Pubs/TechRpts/1985/CSD-85-228.pdf

Kevin Dunlap