[ih] principles of the internet

John Day jeanjour at comcast.net
Thu Jun 3 09:48:24 PDT 2010

>Why not? Alohanet (pure Aloha) capacity was at 1/(2e), and downlink data
>was not even acknowledged (for performance reasons). Ethernet capacity
>has been at some 98 percent right away, and packets hardly ever got lost
>(safe in screwed up installations). Best effort certainly doesn's mean
>no effort (as in Alohanet), but has probably always meant "reasonable",
>"sane" effort. (But that's just my two cents, Richard was gonna
>enlighten us us to the three meanings of best effort.)

Am I missing something here?  To my mind,
Alohanet and Ethernet make the same "effort."
The difference is the theoretical limit of the
media.  Ethernet is higher because the aether has
been replaced by coax.  Not because Ethernet made
more effort than Alohanet.

I think I am seconding David's comment.