[ih] principles of the internet

Richard Bennett richard at bennett.com
Tue Jun 1 15:25:36 PDT 2010

Metcalfe's Ethernet was the canonical best-effort network, with a single
service level and no point to point retransmission, although it did
automatically retransmit following collisions using the truncated binary
exponential backoff algorithm that was later adopted in a moderately
different form by Jacobson's Algorithm in TCP. Modern hub and spoke
"Ethernets" don't have collisions, retransmission, or single service
level, but they do have flow control.

I've always thought it interesting that TCP seeks to mimic the behavior
of the layer 2 protocol most commonly in use, whatever it may be at any
given time, and that analysts often mistake particular forms of this
mimicry for fundamental design elements when in fact the actual
principle is reflection. Network engineering is too close to the process
of making things work to understand all the motivating factors - it's
like trying to write your own biography and expecting it to be objective.

--
Richard Bennett
Research Fellow