[ih] Domain Names

Vint Cerf vint at google.com
Wed Jan 20 04:53:13 PST 2010

no the bbn IMP (arpanet) specs stopped at IMP numbers and host numbers.

the NWG developed the notion of host names along with NCP, TELNET, FTP
and SMTP

email addresses used the <local mailbox ID>@<official host name>
convention adopted by Ray Tomlinson.

official host name meant: registered in the host.txt file at SRI NIC.