[ih] What does Telnet stand for?

John Day jeanjour at comcast.net
Mon Jan 11 06:25:14 PST 2010

Yes, that is my recollection as well, Telecommunications Network.

And just for the record, contrary to what many
textbooks say, the TELNET protocol is not a
remote login protocol.  It is a terminal device
driver protocol.

It is an important distinction.

One of the common applications built using the
telnet protocol is a remote login application. We
were  a bit sloppy giving them the same name.
The telnet protocol is used in other applications
as well.

We knew the difference, but it seems a lot of textbook authors didn't.  ;-)

Take care,
John