[ih] What does Telnet stand for?

Vint Cerf vint at google.com
Mon Jan 11 05:39:04 PST 2010

I think "telecommunication network" is probably the term I recall
associating with the term "TELNET" -

that was because it was used to make it seem as if a "terminal"
(a fairly dumb device) connected directly to a mainframe computer
on the ARPANET was actually just connected to a telecom network
that linked the destination mainframe (host) to the terminal.
The host to which the terminal directly connected was rendered
invisible with the aid of the TELNET protocols running in both
the client host and the server host.

vint