[ih] ARPAnet Type 3 packets (datagrams)

Vint Cerf vint at google.com
Thu Nov 26 10:17:18 PST 2009

the confusion appears to revolve around the term "message"

I am pretty sure that "message" meant an object up to about 8000 bits
from a HOST. The HOST-IMP protocol (BBN 1822) allowed one of
these at a time per logical LINK. Link construct was part of the HOST-
IMP
protocol. The IMPs broke messages into packets  of up to 1008 bits each.

You are correct, Noel, that "get a block" "got a block" was introduced
after Bob Kahn and I demonstrated reassembly lockup (by sending
multiple messages, one each on a distinct logical link).

Single packet MESSAGES served as their own reservation requests
and were retransmitted from the source IMP if the implicit "get a
block" failed.

at least that's what my aging memory tells me. I think I wrote a
detailed
RFC about how the revised mechanisms worked.

vint