[ih] ARPAnet Type 3 packets (datagrams)

Bernie Cosell bernie at fantasyfarm.com
Thu Nov 26 10:10:11 PST 2009

On 26 Nov 2009 at 13:00, Noel Chiappa wrote:

>     > From: "Bernie Cosell" <bernie at fantasyfarm.com>
>
>     > IMPs *only* buffered packets at the modem-output queue. There was
>     > no source-IMP buffering of data for the destination-IMP.
>
> The 1972 FJCC paper does seem to indicate that this was not true of
> single-frame messages, viz (pg. 743):

That's pretty much right, I think [I wish I could check it in the code].
"One packet messages" were handled specially everywhere in the IMP -- I'm
trying to remember *where* in the IMP we held the things pending the RFNM
and I just can't at the moment..

  /Bernie\

mailto:bernie at fantasyfarm.com     Pearisburg, VA