[ih] ARPAnet Type 3 packets (datagrams)

Vint Cerf vint at google.com
Thu Nov 26 06:38:55 PST 2009

1. ARPANET was a peculiar amalgam. It had a datagram interface for
HOST MESSAGES (potentially multipacket objects, up to 8 IMP packets of
1008 bits each). But it reserved space for multi-packet messages at
the destination IMP before sending one - acting sort of like a
connection setup - and did IMP-level retransmission of packets at link
layer. The ROUTE of the packets was indeterminate in the sense that it
was NOT set during "connection" (ie space reservation) set up. Dynamic
alternate routing was a feature. No new MESSAGE (from the host) was
permitted until the host received a Request for Next Message (RFNM)
from its serving IMP. The IMPS did not themselves use RFNM between
each other (unless a FAKE HOST was sending the message and even then,
the RFNM went to the sending fake host, not between intermediate
IMPs). MESSAGES were delivered in sequenced order, so in that sense,
ARPANET acted as if it were offering a virtual circuit service. There
was no retransmission from host to host with the NCP protocol because
this reliability was provided by the ARPANET IMPs. I don't remember
now whether lack of a RFNM triggered a retransmission from the
originating IMP but it seems likely this was the case given that NCP
didn't have a retransmission philosophy.

2. Larry Roberts pressed hard for a virtual circuit form of interface
for Telenet because he felt that he could not "sell" datagram service.
He thought he could sell "virtual circuit" service (sequenced
delivery) as a substitute for dedicated circuits, but at a lower
price. We debated this when I urged him to try TCP/IP but this was in
the 1975 time frame and TCP was still unsplit from IP and very
experimental. He engaged with Remi in France, and two others in the UK
(John <something> at BT) and Canada (David? Horton at Datapac) to
develop what became X.25.

3. The XMAS lockup was a consequence of a memory failure in the
Harvard IMP that caused its "distance vector table" to report that it
was zero hops from everywhere in the ARPANET so everyone sent all
their traffic to Harvard and it crashed for lack of memory. I don't
think this was a reassembly lockup since Harvard IMP was not the
destination, just the intermediate hop.