[ih] Instant messaging

Guillaume Latzko-Toth latzko-toth.guillaume at uqam.ca
Wed Nov 25 13:34:53 PST 2009

At 16:36 2009-11-23, Alan J Maitland wrote:
>I really enjoy this list because it triggers so
>many fond memories.  I think it just remarkable
>how far things have come during the past 35 years or so.

It's a pleasure and quite fascinating for me to
see the excitement about the topic of online chat
and the early days of instant messaging. Some of
you mentioned that they had interesting documents
on the subject; I would be very grateful if they
could send them to me if they are not available online.

I was not myself very happy with some rough
"shortcuts" found in the chronology published in
Six Revisions. In particular with this one:
>Also in 1988, Internet Relay Chat (IRC) was
>first deployed, paving the way for real-time
>chat and the instant messaging programs we use today.

In a way, it's not completely untrue, in the
sense that the wide diffusion of IRC probably
contributed a lot to make Internet chat become
mainstream. However, as Brian Dear said before,
IRC was by far not the first system of its kind,
and did not really *paved the way* to online chat
as did EMISARI Party-Line (1971), PLATO
Talkomatic (1973), CompuServe CB Simulator
(1980), and BITNET Relay (1985) before it.

What IRC did even less is "paving the way for...
the instant messaging programs". Simply because
IRC and IM systems belong, IMHO, to two very
different classes of computer-mediated
communication devices. IRC belongs to the
"conference management" type, while IM is more a
"copresence" management system. While the former
kind of chat systems are meant to create
synchronous (pseudo-)anonymous social spaces or
"places" (chatrooms) designed to foster
sociability and encourage serendipity in social
contacts, IM systems correspond to a very
different communication pattern, centered around
inviduals and their personal networks.

Furthermore, IM comprises other functions than
the near-synchrounous transmission of brief
messages (so called "instant messages"), such as
the notification of recipient about the delivery
of a new message and presence/availability
awareness and management associated with the
"contact list". Indeed, the instant message as a
communicational genre or format should be
distinguished from instant messaging (IM) as a
practice or social media. Obviously, these
distinctions were not clear in the 60s and 70s:
the technology was there, social uses had yet to emerge.

As far as I know, the first implementation of IM
is due to Anthony DellaFera and colleagues
(1988), who figured out the specifications of the
"notification system" in the frame of the Athena
Project at MIT [see:
http://www.rfrench.org/papers/usenix.pdf ]. This
effort led to what is deemed the first IM system,
Zephyr, deployed at MIT and a few other
universities. The fundamental principle
underlying this class of devices is that the flux
of messages is centered around a person (via
his/her identifyier), rather than around a place
(a server address). It’s up to the system to
locate the recipient in the distributed environment.

If you would like to read more about the
distinction between "conference" and "copresence"
chat systems, and how the latter "paradigm" tends
to takeover these days, I can send you the draft
of a paper I have submitted to the Bulletin of
Science & Technology Studies. All comments would be welcome.

Best,
Guillaume

Guillaume Latzko-Toth
Ph.D. candidate in Communication Studies
Université du Québec à Montréal
http://grm.uqam.ca/?q=latzko