[ih] Instant messaging, was We can hang up now, it's all done.

Alan J Maitland AMaitland at Commerco.Com
Mon Nov 23 13:36:55 PST 2009

I had access to an HP2000F (an HP1000 with Time Shared Basic) in high
school (around the mid 1970s) via a 10 baud teletype (not quite
Internet ready, but I'll always remember paper tape dot fights with
fondness).  I seem to recall a TELL or TELLOP style command on that system.

Also, the NYU physics department HP3000CX (first released circa 1972
or 1974 depending on which release you would count) certainly did
have both TELL (session to session messaging) and TELLOP (session to
operator messaging) commands in 1978, though I think that was part of
the MPE FOS from its earliest days.

Although the HP3000 gravitated to a more commercial focus over time
(HPMail, then HPDesk - email messaging as well as other accounting
and manufacturing apps), it did have some interesting scientific
applications which trace back to the 1970s.  One of those which comes
to mind (specialized imaging software) ended up also getting ported
over to the DEC VAX, though it continued to be offered and supported
on both platforms.

I really enjoy this list because it triggers so many fond
memories.  I think it just remarkable how far things have come during
the past 35 years or so.

Best,

Alan