[ih] We can hang up now, it's all done.

John Day jeanjour at comcast.net
Sun Nov 22 18:25:09 PST 2009

Yes, most definitely.  I think you will find that many of the
timesharing systems of the period had a mail command of some sort.
The overall game in the early ARPANET was simply to re-create on the
Net everything we had on an OS.  This was really the gist of the
proposals that USING made including good ole NETED, a network common
editor.  Moving these things from a single computer to a network, in
some sense doing them one level removed, often lead to new insights
although most of them were never written down.

Also it should be noted that in most of these early implementations
the mail box was a file not a directory.  Mail was appended to the
file, rather than creating a new file for each piece of mail.