[ih] We can hang up now, it's all done.

Larry Sheldon LarrySheldon at cox.net
Sun Nov 22 08:56:05 PST 2009

Dave CROCKER wrote:

> Larry Sheldon wrote:
>> Well, there seems to be one or two misunderstandings....
>>
>> (no need to flame--humor intended.)
>>
>> http://sixrevisions.com/resources/the-history-of-the-internet-in-a-nutshell/

 > I must be in a very strange mood, because I think the summary is an
 > interesting and pretty reasonable -- if still rough -- effort, and is
 > fixable.
 >
 > That is, I think it's arc is helpful and the details it gets wrong are
 > fairly discrete, and therefore easily remedied.

Some comfort in that for late-to-the-game folks.

But I am sad to see no mention of Gopher and Archie (and hytelnet) which
I believe had to have been the beginnings of the World Wide Web.

(I would make make the argument that the WWW was a standalone
development that could not have occurred without the facility of
networking.  The sense I am groping for here is he sense that flitting
about the globe to one global warming conference after another is not
the result the invention of the airplane, but is dependent upon it.
What was the Wright brother's goal, anyway?  To fly, is my guess.  Going
somewhere came later.)

--
Requiescas in pace o email              Two identifying characteristics
                                              of System Administrators:

ICBM Targeting Information:
	http://tinyurl.com/4sqczs
	http://tinyurl.com/7tp8ml