[ih] internet-history Digest, Vol 37, Issue 1

Jack Haverty jack at 3kitty.org
Thu Nov 5 23:39:58 PST 2009

I think that's right - but it's been a long time....  I vaguely remember
the event was more like a traditional Internet Working Group meeting
(lectures and debates by Internet geeks) than a conference, with the
main agenda being presentations about various things being worked on.
That's where I think that the ceramic tiles were given out.  Dan was the
one who figured out that there were lots of people who'd be interested
enough to pay real money even to be able to just listen, and he knew all
the people (yes, geeks are people too...) who'd be willing to come and
talk - especially if the next event was held somewhere like Monterey.
It was an amazingly short journey from there to Moscone to Vegas.

I wonder if the Internet would have been such a success if Interop
hadn't happened to allow the "real world" to join the party.  And of
course the signature chocolate chip cookies were crucial.

/Jack