[ih] Secret precedence schemes back then

Jack Haverty jack at 3kitty.org
Wed Jan 28 10:15:30 PST 2009

Wow, you have a good memory.  I still have a copy of the TCP code that I
wrote (first Unix TCP, on a PDP-11/40).  I'll have to look and see what
it did with Source Quench.

When I first got that TCP running, it didn't have enough throughput to
keep a model 33 TTY busy.  I think it achieved the blinding speed of
about 4 bytes/second!  It turned out that 99% of the time was spent in
the Unix kernel.  So, that's when I became a Unix kernel hacker, to fix
the O/S so the TCP could run.  Talk about hardware limitations - the
Unix system had 32 KB (yes, K) of memory.  Adding code required first
finding some error message to shorten; every character gone freed up a
byte for code, and made the kernel output logs slightly more
inscrutable.  Needless to say, there wasn't a whole lot of flexibility
to add much sophistication.

Yes, it was an interesting time.  The ELF implementation preceded me by
a bit.  As I remember, ELF made a good platform for a research project -
where performance wasn't much of an issue.  Part of the reason for
moving the project internally within BBN was to get a more "operational"
perspective.  So it moved into the group where I was, along with all of
the Arpanet crew.  Much of the innards of the ensuing gateways were
inspired, or at least influenced, by the Arpanet experience - the
gateway crew was literally down the hall from the Arpanet crew.

/Jack