[ih] Fwd: nomenclature

Jack Haverty jack at 3kitty.org
Wed Dec 23 16:12:01 PST 2009

I agree - I also think that the term "host" is older than the Arpanet.
It's important to remember that the Arpanet was the first "packet
network" - not the first computer network.

IIRC, in the 60s the "host" was the computer at the other end of your
comm link, and it "hosted" the program that you were using from your
terminal.  You would dial up the host to use the program which it
hosted.  The program was a "guest" - it could be kicked out at any
moment to cool its heels on the drum while a VIP (Very Important
Program) was hosted.

I think "host" was used in the context of the various terminal-computer
networks that IBM, CDC, et al supported in the late 60s, but I have no
idea where it originated.  Old Sperry or IBM docs would be a good
source.

/Jack