[ih] Fwd: nomenclature

Larry Sheldon LarrySheldon at cox.net
Wed Dec 23 11:23:29 PST 2009

On 12/23/2009 11:47 AM, Dave CROCKER wrote:

> I remember that the term 'host' was one of the bits of mind-share that
> the Arpanet created.. But I don't recall hearing why that particular
> term was chosen.
>
> Do any of you remember why?

I'd have to dig out some old USE documentation (or maybe some UNIVAC or
Sperry docs if I can find them) but I think we used the term "host"
before we had "networks" as the term is now used.

In the IBM world, what was on the other end of a telephone line from an
RJE station?

It seems to me that one end of a word channel cable was the
"controller", the other the "host".
--
Remember:  The Ark was built by amateurs, the Titanic by professionals.

Requiescas in pace o email
Ex turpi causa non oritur actio
Eppure si rinfresca

ICBM Targeting Information:  http://tinyurl.com/4sqczs