[ih] AT&T, carterfone, the 103, and why didnt BBSs start earlier?

Randy Bush randy at psg.com
Fri Aug 14 05:00:23 PDT 2009

> While Illinois had a 7094 with 2 1401s when I got there (which was
> interesting to code), they also had the asynchronous Illiac II, and
> within  a couple of years a 360/75 and /50 (which was a mess to
> code), the fabulous B5500 was not only a revelation, but an
> inspiration.
>
> With it you learned the power of good design over mediocre design.

i do not believe the illiacs had comms, but i did not use them.  we only
drove up north for chinese food.  we got the bends above muddy waters on
43rd.

by the time the /50 nd /75 were out, coms controllers, though not
inexpensive, were well sub-astronomic in costs.  but you're past
carterfone time.  perhaps the lowering costs were an effect of
carterphone.

my memory is that the B1700, a very interesting machine, had affordable
comms.  but i do not remember comms for barton's 5500.  algol not ascii!

randy