[ih] AT&T, carterfone, the 103, and why didnt BBSs start earlier?

Randy Bush randy at psg.com
Thu Aug 13 21:53:22 PDT 2009

> I'm pretty sure that no one could actually see the other boxes behind
> a 7090 :-)

they did not go on the 7040 and 7094 or 1401 we had (u chi comp center).
no comms, period.  well, bisync.  and the 1130 had nada as i remember.
perhaps we were deprived, don't remember.

maybe the lgps and GEs etc vint and the other kinky left coasters played
with had comms in those days.

and let's not forget 134 baud 2741 selectrics.  doug mosher (rip) was
able to whistle into an acustic coupler to get those to type his name,
an amazing feat.

and we shoukd really say dale heatherington, the engineer behind the
curtain, not hayes.  dennis was management, and bad management it turned
out.  (i consulted to hayes through those years).

to try to be a bit on topic, i too think carterfone was all about
opening to competition.  and not just modems.  it meant we could attach
anything (reasonable) to the at&t's and itt's (you do remember them,
yes?) networks.

randy