[ih] ARPAnet maps?

Noel Chiappa jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Sat Aug 1 06:43:37 PDT 2009

    > From: Bob Braden <braden at ISI.EDU>

    > we try to collect all the (readable and undamaged) images of ARPAnet
    > maps?

Ditto for early Internet maps. I have a wonderful fairly early one from 1982
(by Jon Postel) that's notable for having only Class A network numbers on it
(that one's up on Wikipedia). It would be nice to collect all similar very
early ones (since those exist in probably very limited numbers, in physical
form).

    > From: "William Plummer" <William.Plummer at alum.mit.edu>

    > I heard Larry Roberts tell an audience in about 1975 that the ARPANet
    > had grown to the point he could no longer make a meaningful map of it.

Maybe he meant 'from memory'? BBN certainly produced nice maps all the way
through its lifetime.

Now, the Internet, that's something it's now hard to produce a meaningful map
of! :-)

	Noel