[ih] Origin of the term 'locator'

Noel Chiappa jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Mon Apr 6 11:26:04 PDT 2009

As a result of recent discussion on another mailing list, I went looking for
the origin of the term 'locator', which was invented by the Nimrod group
(Frank Kastenholz in particular), and used to denote an 'address' which wasn't
carried in packets (since people seemed to have their heads cemented around
the concept that 'addresses' had to be in packets).

I _thought_ it had been created on a public email list (perhaps the Nimrod WG
mailing list), but it turns out to have been in private email, a fork from a
thread on the Big-Internet mailing list (started by me at Mon, 16 Aug 93
23:09:05 -0400, Subject: Terminology problems). So, for the future
historians, I'm posting (with Frank's permission) that private email exchange
to the list, so it's here in the historical record.

	Noel