[ih] Step up "What influenced me, and what difference have I thus made to the Internet (or think I did)?"

Matthias Bärwolff mbaer at cs.tu-berlin.de
Thu Apr 2 13:52:02 PDT 2009

Thanks everyone for the host of responses. That was an inspiring thread,
and helped a lot.

May I very briefly repeat two paragraphs from Jack's latest post:

> So, although it's difficult to determine what influenced someone's decisions,
> it's perhaps more reasonable to ask what influenced your own decisions.  It's
> not so easy to answer that question, but at least you're asking an "eye
> witness".  So, since I was involved in various aspects of what many people might
> call "The Internet" for much of the late 70s and 80s, I've been asking myself
> that question.  What influenced me?
>
> [... copious elaboration ...]
> A few years ago, some organization (Smithsonian I believe) ran a project to
> capture as much as possible of the experiences of World War II veterans, in
> order to document the "inside" of the war experience while the opportunity still
> existed.  Perhaps, in its role as organizer of the world's information (which
> continually amazes me), Google might take on such a project for the
> Internet...?   Vint, did you make it this far through my rambling......?

It would really be nice to have an archive of such personal views, each
on the narrow question Jack has asked himself: "What influenced me, and
what difference have I thus made to the Internet (or think I did)?" This
would still be subjective, but at the same time apt, for no-one has been
owning, directing, or building the internet by themselves.

It may be a start if everyone of those who have "been there" just wrote
their piece (no more than five pages) and posted it here (or put it up
online wherever they please) so that Google can find it under a common
header.

Matthias

--
Matthias Bärwolff