[ih] Question regarding history of .us ccTLD formation

Vint Cerf vint at google.com
Tue Nov 28 09:36:10 PST 2006

Jonathan B Postel served at the Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (and as
the predecessor "numbers czar") from 1969 to his death in 1998. He was at
UCLA for a time until joining USC/ISI probably around 1972 [you may need to
check that]. He was under contract to DARPA to perform a number of functions
among which were the editing of the RFC series and what is now called the
IANA function (management of the domain name system, allocation of IP
address space, and maintenance of the documentation of protocol parameters
associated with the Internet Protocol suite.

Jon was responsible for overseeing the Domain Name System developed during
the 1984-1986 period and instituted into operation in that time frame.

He adopted the practice of assigning country codes from the ISO 3166-1 list
that included .us.  Jon personally delegated responsibility for the
operation of top level country codes - often to universities in the
respective countries. In 1998, Jon passed away and ICANN was created to
carry out his work. ICANN has responsibility for delegation of top level
domain operation. The US Department of Commerce issued an RFP for the
operation of .US and selected Neustar to operate it. ICANN, on request of
the USG, delegated operation of .us to Neustar.

Vinton G Cerf
Chief Internet Evangelist
Google
Regus Suite 384