[ih] Query: When did the IETF change to "everyone can come"?

Craig Partridge craig at aland.bbn.com
Mon Dec 4 08:22:50 PST 2006

The 5th IETF was, I believe, open to anyone.  I showed up under NSF
funding because NSFNET had network management challenges that we needed
addressed and IETF was deemed the place in the Internet standards world
in which that work should be done.

I seem to recall this was the first IETF that was open to anyone but I've
never gotten the full story on IETFS 1 through 4, though I note they
have proceedings on-line at IETF.org.

Craig