[ih] order of source and destination address in IP header

Craig Partridge craig at aland.bbn.com
Fri Mar 25 11:50:00 PST 2005

In message <42442427.9000201 at reed.com>, "David P. Reed" writes:

>TCP and later the IP layer was expected to be a protocol *between
>gateways* at all the points in time being described.

Hi Dave:

You were there and I wasn't, but I find this statement a bit surprising.
Certainly the original Cerf/Kahn paper clearly states TCP operates
between HOSTS, with GATEWAYS doing the relaying.

Also, I note that IP's fragmentation model requires a source address.
(Or perhaps, better said, would have been extremely difficult to do
without either a source address or a unique, destination-created, nonce
that was given to the source and placed in each datagram).

Craig