[ih] order of source and destination address in IP header

Noel Chiappa jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Tue Mar 22 12:04:13 PST 2005

    > there was also an IP/TCP version 3.5. It had the fixed length addresses
    > of TCP 2, but was split into separate IP and TCP a la TCP 3.

Stephen Casner has reminded me that my memory is playing tricks on me! There
was an intermediate between 3 and 4, but it was numbered 3.1, not 3.5. See:

    V. Cerf, "A Proposal for TCP Version 3.1 Header Format", IEN 27

for 3.1. There were actually quite a few different revs of the TCP spec: as
RFC-793 says:

  "There have been nine earlier editions of the ARPA TCP specification"

Stephen recalls that here was also a TCP 2.5; I don't know where to find
something about 2.5.

While I'm at it, here's another error: I see that RFC-761 (January 1980) still
has Rubber EOL, so it must have been later than the 3.1 -> 4 transition that
that disappeared.

	Noel