[ih] Writing things down - then and now

Jake Feinler feinler at earthlink.net
Mon Sep 27 21:14:03 PDT 2004

In my lab days we were required to keep lab notebooks of every
experiment we did.  These were kept and were proof of work done by the
individual and/or organization (academic or commercial)  in the event
of a controversy.  The problem nowadays isn't that things aren't
written down - more is written down than ever before.  Unfortunately,
it is mostly written as email and most organizations treat email as
ephemera.  Perhaps this needs to be rethought.

As head of the Arpanet/DDN Network Information Center (NIC) for many
years, I tried to keep the email for some of the important working
groups of the time, such as TCP/IP (and was usually told I was off my
rocker.)  Now I wish I had kept more detail so that we wouldn't need to
be having this discussion, and there would be a repository where such
important "lab notebooks" could be accessed.  Besides some of the
discussions were not only technical but they were very amusing when
discussions heated up.  (Who could forget such gems as  "Okay it's come
to this..."Your mother wears combat boots!")

I have donated all my NIC papers to the Computer History Museum in
Sunnyvale, CA.  In the collection I have found  email pertaining to
various working groups.  If anything looks interesting or reasonably
complete, I am sure the Museum would want to share with the public
(although I have to go on record as saying I do not speak officially on
their behalf, as I am a volunteer not  an employee.)

Regards,

Jake Feinler