[ih] questions on arpanet

Mike Padlipsky the.map at alum.mit.edu
Wed Sep 22 17:05:47 PDT 2004

At 11:24 AM 9/22/2004, Chris Edmondson-Yurkanan wrote:
>You need to realize that the email applications used FTP to transfer the
>email messages,

it's also important to realize that rfc's weren't distributed over the 'net
until some point in time which i'll leave as an exercise to the scholarly
but believe i know was after november of 1974, since that's when rfc 666
was published, 'off-line', as was the then-prevailing modality to the best
of my recollection.  [and as regular readers of this list will perhaps
recall, it still hasn't been placed 'on-line' ... unless, of course, the
well-known bottleneck has finally done so and lacked the courtesy to inform
me he has; or -- just as a purist's point -- given the state of my
middlemiddleaged memory, perhaps it _was_ published on-line and the
bottleneck removed it, but in fact i rather doubt that.]

indeed, not only weren't the rfc's 'on-line' during the formative years,
but most of the key protocol design work [host-host, telnet, and of course
ftp] was done at the various protocol committee/working group meetings,
sometimes based on discussions we might have had with our local colleagues
before the meetings but that was probably the exception, but certainly not
via what was called netmail at the time, since it all took place before
netmail was available [other than by telneting in to a guest account and
using intra-host mail, which doesn't really count].  granted, we might well
have e-discussed when and where to have the 'new' telnet meeting over the
'net, but i wouldn't vouch for it -- and i was heavily involved in the meeting.

sure, it's 'only' anecdotal evidence and others' recollections might well
differ, but my own is that we 'always' relied primarily on meetings for
hammering out the design consensuses [or consenses, if you prefer] that
were the protocols, not net- or e- mail.  certainly on both versions of the
host-front end protocol [the later of which was in 1984, repeat 19_8_4],
and 'neted', but that might be cheating because i chaired both groups.

speaking of exercises for the scholarly, b/t/w, does anybody know who's
responsible for the noxiously cutesy 'e-mail' locution, and when?  '73
feels awfully early to me, dr. dandi's reported referenced study to the
contrary notwithstanding [though perhaps the study was a retrospective one
... and probably an inaccurate one anyway, since in '73 i suspect that at
least half the traffic consisted of host-host protocol 'eco' commands,
thanks to the perversity of the bbn 'ncp'].

cheers, map

[whose shoulder problems caused him to break down some time ago and create
a 'signature' file to apologize for the lack of his formerly customary
e-volubility -- and who's been employing shiftless typing for a long time
now to spare his wristsnfingers, in case you didn't know ... and who's
further broken down and done http://www.lafn.org/~ba213/mapstuff.html ,
rather grudgingly]