[ih] questions on arpanet

Chris Edmondson-Yurkanan chris at cs.utexas.edu
Wed Sep 22 11:24:08 PDT 2004

Roberto,
Re here's some feedback your questions:

Q1 and Q2) what's the name of the study that you are referring to....
you should provide all info, such as authors, detailed date, name, does
it have a NIC #, does it have a BBN #, or a Network measurement note #,
etc...  That will help us help you.

Also, I recently found Postel's binder of all 28 Network Measurement
Notes, but we haven't put any of it online yet...  I don't recall
whether any of them had traffic analyzed by application.

You need to realize that the email applications used FTP to transfer
the email messages, so it wasn't just a simple matter of looking at an
Arpanet header (as we do today by examining the TCP port#s).

Q3) your excel sheet
* Your "status field" may need to be expanded for your research
project... It appears that you want to know whether someone was a
student(junior) or professor(senior) if they were academic, and
otherwise they were "senior" whether they were a user, programmer,
manager???  For your study, you might want their title and role, and
then you can characterize the person multiple ways, sometimes using
their official characterization and sometimes use the role that they
took in the Arpanet. Plus, your study is over a long time period, so
most juniors became seniors ....

* there are 2 Crockers: Steve and Dave

Good luck, Chris

On Sep 22, 2004, at 10:24 AM, rdandi at luiss.it wrote:

> Hi all!
>
> I am new in this list. I am Roberto Dandi, Italian PhD in
> organizational behavior, working at Luiss (Roma, Italy). I am
> collecting studies and data on the organizational and social issues of
> Arpanet. In particular I am interested in studying how and to what
> extent CMC technologies (email, online RFCs...) impacted on
> coordination and identification within the early arpanet community.
>
> I have three questions:
>
> 1) Email traffic: is there any statistics on the use of email in
> arpanet in the period 1972-1978? In some documents I found reference
> to a study according to which in 1973 email traffic was about 75% of
> the whole traffic in arpanet. Do you know where can I find this study?
> In RFCs I found only traffic statistics (by McKenzie) that do not
> distinguish email traffic.
>
> 2) Host network traffic: is there any statistics on the transfer of
> information from host to host? I mean, for example, how many data UCLA
> transferred from/to SRI or from/to other nodes? (in the period
> 1969-1978). Again, RFCs by McKenzie report synthetic traffic
> statistics, they do not specify the one to one relations.
>
> 3) The hardest question (I think): members affiliations and status.
> Studying RFCs I found the affiliations of the RFC authors in NWG (see
> attached file). I am interested also in finding which are the previous
> affiliations of these authors (before entering the arpanet) and the
> status they had during arpanet (senior or junior researcher). Does
> anybody know how can I fill in the blank spaces in my XL file?
>
> Thanks so much
> best regards
> Roberto Dandi
>
> --
> Roberto Dandi
> Ph. D. in Organisational Behaviour
> at Università degli Studi del Molise (CB, Italy)
> c/o Scuola di Management
> LUISS Guido Carli
> Via Tommasini 1
> 00162 Roma, Italy
> tel. +39.06.86506555, fax +39.06.86506547
> e-mail: rdandi at luiss.it
> web-site: http://www.geocities.com/robertodandi
>

> Your mail has been scanned by InterScan VirusWall.<Arpanet members.xls>
Chris Edmondson-Yurkanan (cey at postel.org)
Postel Visiting Scholar; USC/ISI (8/16 to 12/15/2004)
+1 310 448 9152   (fax +1 310 448 9300)
4676 Admiralty Way, Suite 1001
Marina del Rey, CA, 90292-6695
Permanent contact info:  www.cs.utexas.edu/users/chris/