[ih] ARPA initial IMP-IMP line speed

Guy T Almes almes at internet2.edu
Wed Feb 25 05:11:45 PST 2004

Dave,
  As I recall, you got only 56 Kb/s from a 64-Kb/s DS0 circuit by wasting
every 8th bit (to avoid long strings of zeroes that messed up the
encompassing T1 circuit).
  The supervisory bit was one bit in every 193-bit T1 frame (24 8-bit
chunks plus that pesky supervisory bit).
  But this was the era of digital service, at least.
  I'm really enjoying learning more about the pre-digital service era.  I
recall the monster IMP equipment in the CMU CS machine room and always
imagined that squeezing 50 Kb/s out of an analog circuit was pretty tense.
  Regards,
        -- Guy

--On Wednesday, February 25, 2004 06:52:41 +0000 "David L. Mills"