[ih] ARPA initial IMP-IMP line speed

David L. Mills mills at udel.edu
Wed Feb 25 07:54:13 PST 2004

Guy,

You are correct; the eigth bit was for scrambling and the supervisory
bits were every 193 bits. This was the original DS-1 specification;
later the Extended Superframe spec got even more ingenious. The real
lesson of the analog era was that whatever you did had to fid in the
multiplexor hierarchy at the group, super and jumbo bandwidths. That's
why the silly breakout at 50 kbps and 230 kbps.

The really interesting issues were how the transition between analog and
digital domains were managed and, for example, how TV transitioned from
4.5 MHz analog to 2xT3 (92 Mbps) with basically old technology. That was
clever. One of the digital breakout rates is 6.3 Mbps, originally I am
told, to support Picturephone. Remember that?

Dave