[ih] ARPA initial IMP-IMP line speed

David L. Mills mills at udel.edu
Tue Feb 24 13:39:40 PST 2004

Chris,

The IMP interface is described in BBN Report 1822, which I have. There
were companion documents for the Digital Equipment IMP-11A interface for
the PDP-11 Unibus which I don't have. My first ARPAnet connection at
COMSAT Labs was a 4800-bps analog link to BBN; later I connected with
56-kbps DDS and IMP 29 at Mitre. Toward the end of ARPAlife I connected
from UDel via 56-kbps DDS to IMP 112 somewhere in WashDC. Scary to think
now I have 100-Mbps desktop-desktop just about anywhere in Internet2.
How the heck did we get along with only a 50-kbps network?

Dave