[ih] Finding the ARPA's Request for quotation (july-august 1968)

Chris Edmondson-Yurkanan chris at cs.utexas.edu
Mon May 12 13:52:38 PDT 2003

#    > From: "Chris Edmondson-Yurkanan" <chris at cs.utexas.edu>
#
#    > I have scanned the RFQ as pdf images and it is here:
#    > ..
#    > Additionally: the other network design related documents that are not
#    > widely available which I have put online can be found here:
#    > ..
#    > When I get some more funding, I will continue with this activity.
#
#Wow! What a collection of great stuff!

    thanks Noel!

	when the ACM SIGCOMM 99 conference committee (under Lyman Chapin's
	leadership) came up with the idea of inviting all 12 (missing Jon)
	SIGCOMM Award winners to participate in a panel, then Ellen
	Zegura came up with the idea of asking them to contribute to
	an Internet History Tutorial....

	So, the actual 19 people who spoke at that tutorial sent me
	a few originals (that others wouldn't have access to)
	for possible inclusion in a tutorial notebook.
	At that point I got hooked!  Some just sent me slides and
	bibliographies, and some sent originals.  It was/is incredibly
	exciting.

     thanks to Craig Simon:
	The namedroppers archive came via Craig Partridge....
	Do you have some other archives to share or suggestions?

#
#I don't have time to comment on the Internet stuff, but for the early
#ARPAnet, I would also highly suggest BBN's proposal in response to that RFQ,
#a massive tome (about 200 pages) called "IMP P69-IST-5", from 6 September,
#1968.

	Wonderful!
	I specifically asked Jennie Connolly (BBN's librarian) for that,
	when I visited	BBN on my last trip.  She went off to find out
	where it was, and was told BBN's response was thousands of pages
	and not available.  So, I'm glad to hear it's only 200 pages.
	It was certainly my understanding that BBN does not have a copy???

	I just sent Jennie an email to double check with her, now
	if that doesn't work any other pointers for me to pursue?

#
#Another very important and hard-to-find ARPANet document is BBN Report 3803,
#which is where the problems with the ARPAnet's original Destination-Vector
#routing architecture were studied, and the routing architecture now called
#"link state" proposed to replace it.

	OK, given that most people have library access to IEEE Transactions
	on Communications paper (May 80) The New Routing Algorithm for
	the ARPANET,  not to mention random sites, such as:
	people.ece.cornell.edu/servetto/teaching/fall2002/reading/arpanet.pdf
	and the Sigcomm 25th anniversary issue Dave Oran and Lyman spearheaded
	in 1995 has a 7 page version: An Overview of the New Routing Algorithm
	for the ARPANET.....

	So, Noel, do you remember what additional info is in 3803
	and the follow on reports: 3940 and 4088?  that might not be
	in the classic reference/citation?

	I did ask Jennie for BBN report 3641 "Arpanet routing study
	final report Sept 77" thinking that it would be the ultimate
	story of "link state", but it wasn't what I thought, so I don't
	have it on my todo list.... and never did request 3803/3940/4088

#
#You might want to try and touch base with Katie Hafner, who did the definitive
#history of the early ARPANet ("When Wizards Stay up Late", I think is the
#title), and see if she has any suggestions for additional critical materials.
#
#	Noel
#

	Yes, ironically, she moved from Austin before I had heard of her.
	(her husband worked at UT)

	I ask my undergrad researchers to start by reading Katie Hafner's
	book.  It is engaging, and the students always enjoy finding out
	that you guys are "real people"!

	And, I have all of the other books as well.

	Thanks again, Chris

--
The University of Texas at Austin  TAY 4.136; +1 512 471 9546    Fax: 471 8885
Chris Edmondson-Yurkanan           My email addresses are: chris at cs.utexas.edu
Computer Sciences Department          or dragon at cs.utexas.edu
1 University Station C0500         URL:  www.cs.utexas.edu/users/chris/
Austin, TX   78712-1188            Fedex: please send to Taylor Hall 2.124