[ih] History of Online Databases

David P. Reed dpreed at reed.com
Fri Jan 17 20:22:02 PST 2003

Hey guys, depends on what you mean by "online" database and
"network".   Online databases predated the ARPANET by years.   Project
MAC/CTSS had online databases accessible remotely over the telephone
network, used by ordinary people for research in the early 1960's. In the
late 1960's and early 1970's there were lots of databases that were
replicated across networks and accessed across networks - Lockheed, DRI,
NEXIS, are just some examples.

IBM had distributed databases that were accessible over SNA in the early
1970's, using CICS.

SABRE was distributed quite early, and again was a networked high-volume
transaction system.

SAGE was a distributed database system itself, giving real-time access to a
wide variety of dynamic data, in the 1950's (I think).

If you are looking for WWW browser accessible databases, the first
PERL-script systems that built dynamic web pages from databases that I know
of were created at U of Illinois, by folks like my friend Brygg Ullmer, who
was 14 or 15 years old at the time (1992 or so).  Probably at other early
locations like CERN.

But years prior to that, in 1983 or so Ray Ozzie built the core of Lotus
Notes, which is a fully distributed, replicated database system.

And the idea of decentralized replicated databases on networks precedes my
1978 Ph.D. thesis about coordinating atomic actions on them.   Examples
include work by Stonebraker at Berkeley and System R* at IBM in 1975 or 1976.